Why does PayPal keep rejecting my debit/credit card?
There are many possible causes that can result in such credit card error, and PayPal doesn’t give specific explanation on how to resolve the problem and make the payment goes through processing again, with the same or different credit card. Here’s some explanations and possible resolutions that suggested by users on Internet.
1. Credit Card Is already Linked or Associated with a PayPal Account
It would appear that credit cards already associated with a PayPal account are not accepted by PayPal if the user attempts to use the card without being logged into PayPal. If you’re using a credit card that’s linked or assigned to a PayPal account, try logging into PayPal during payment process. You can change the source of funds to make the payment when logged in to use the credit card instead of the PayPal balance.
2. Credit Card Is Previously Used in PayPal Account or Assigned in Closed PayPal Account
PayPal remembers a credit card details even when they have been removed from the account. The information is remembered even if PayPal account which linked to the credit card is closed and deleted. In this case, try another credit card, or assign the credit card to a PayPal account, and pay with account logged in.
3. PayPal Limit on Non-Member Credit Card Usage
According to a PayPal source, there is a limit based on the number of times, the amount of the transactions and the type of merchandise being sold that a credit card can be used to purchase within the system without having to verify ownership by opening an account. The restriction is for security and fraud protection reasons. There is no workaround to this limitation, but you should be able to use another credit card. If there is still problem, try using another email address or register for a PayPal account.
4. Credit Card or Email Address Raises Flag in the Transaction
Closely linked to reasons above, where some part of the transaction raises flag on the server that stop the payment. Two possible flags are on credit card or email address. Try changing either credit card or e-mail address or both when attempting to pay again.
5. Cookies Problem
Try using another web browser and/or delete cookies and attempt to pay with PayPal gateway using credit card again.
6. Credit Card Is Not Confirmed in Account
Although contrary to some of the reasons above, if the credit card has been linked to an account, but not yet confirmed, log-in to PayPal and complete all credit card information such as Card Verification Number or Security Code, and confirm the card by entering the PayPal code shown on the credit card statement on the special refundable charge by PayPal.
In all cases above, the problem won’t arise if the purchaser add the credit card to PayPal account, and use it as funding source to pay the transaction through PayPal account.
Credit Card / Debit Card Payment Issues (Troubleshooting)
Here are some measures to ensure a smooth transaction and purchasing experience on theonlypaw.com. If you have experienced an error while purchasing, please try the following steps. We have found that these solutions solve a majority of our purchasing issues:
1. Please verify with your bank or credit union if international purchases are permitted
2. Please verify with your bank or credit union if they support AVS
3. Confirm that your billing address is correct
4. If you have moved (change of address) within 5 years, please try your previous address of residence. We have found that banks may sometimes update the fields used for bank statements but forget to update the AVS fields
5. Use only English characters when inputting billing and shipping address information